So you are stuffed from Christmas Day and are left with Turkey you can’t finish… Curry is the answer!
You will need:
Turkey cut into cubes or shredded
1 large onion chopped
7 cloves of crushed garlic
1tbsp of crushed ginger
3 green chillies chopped
100g of butter or ghee (clarified butter)
3 tbsp of oil
1 heaped tsp of cumin seeds (jeera)
2 cardamom pods
2 heaped tsp of ground coriander seeds (dhania powder)
2 heaped tsp of ground cumin (jeera powder)
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric powder (Haldi)
1 tsp of salt
1 x 400g tin of tomatoes crushed
- On a medium heat in a non stick pot add butter/ghee and oil
- Then add cumin seeds & cardamon pods and cook for 1 minute
- Next add chopped onion & cook on a low to medium heat until the onion starts to go golden around the edges
- Then add garlic, ginger & chillies and cook for a further 1-2 mins
- add Ground Coriander, Cumin, garam masala, turmeric & salt to the onion base and cook on low for 30 seconds. This will infuse the oils from the spices into your onion base
- Turn the heat down to low and add cream and stir ensuring the wonderful curry base with onions, garlic, ginger, chillies and spices are mixed well
- Cook for 1-2 mins & the add tomatoes.
- Cover & cook for about 10 mins on low heat until the butter/oil starts rising to the top. If necessary add half cup of hot water to avoid sticking.
- Taste the sauce and add more salt to taste if required or chilli powder for that extra heat
- Finally add the Turkey cover and cook for approx.10 mins or until meat is heated throughout.
Garnish with fresh chopped coriander & enjoy with one of Riya’s frozen Paratha, Chappati or Naan!